How far I have come, how much that has changed since I last filled out this meme in 2010! Here is 2012 reviewed:
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before? Open and run my own salon. Be an employer. Go fly-fishing. Take charge of my health and fitness.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I chose a word, rather than make resolutions. My word for 2012 was gioia - happiness, which is not only the name of my salon but also the most occurring feeling this year. I will definitely choose a word for 2013 as well, more on that later.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Some of my expat friends did.
4. Did anyone close to you die? No.
5. What countries did you visit? England – Alex and I went there for a few days in November to see Nicki.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012? Umm… firm glutes? A house.
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? February 1, when I received the keys to that which would become my salon. March 1, when the salon opened.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Fulfilling one of my life dreams, and becoming quite successful at that.
9. What was your biggest failure? I really don’t know. Not keeping the house in order?
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? No.
11. What was the best thing you bought? A gym membership.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Mine I am far from perfect, but I am very proud of what I have accomplished this year. My husband’s, for believing in me, helping me and being an endless source of support and love. I couldn’t have done any of this without him.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? The only one that springs to mind is the girl who owns the salon where I rented a booth before opening Gioia, but there’s no point in spending any energy on her, so…. the weather gods maybe? This summer was the worst I can remember, weather-wise.
14. Where did most of your money go? I spent some on the salon, obviously, but mostly I’ve been paying back on a loan I took last year.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? The salon? I sound like a broken record, but it was really huge. I have also gotten really, really, really excited about seeing muscles on my body that I never even knew I was supposed to have, running 3o minutes – 5K – 6K – 40 minutes without stopping, doing push-ups on my toes (no knees! no knees!) for the first time ever, and other fitness related achievements.
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
Astrologen, because it is a fantastic re-make of an old favorite song of mine, and La La Love, Cyprus’ song in Eurovision Song Contest, for a million reasons.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer? Happier, thinner, richer. SCORE!
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Wearing shorts and sandals. This year has been cold!
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Making a mess at home. Tidiness has never been a strength of mine.
20. How will you be spending Christmas? At our house, with my husband’s family.
21. Did you fall in love in 2012? Over and over again, with my husband, our son, myself, butterflies, flowers, candles, music, strength, nature, beauty. Life.
22. How many one-night stands? 0, for the 13th year in a row.
23. What was your favorite TV program? Sons of Anarchy, The Walking Dead.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? Life is too short and precious to waste on hatred.
25. What was the best book you read? True Vines by Diana Strinati Baur.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery? It is hard to single out any particular artists or songs, but since I became serious about my training I have discovered how important music is to push you a little extra, and I find myself gravitating toward music that I wouldn’t listen to otherwise, like this song which is FABULOUS to get the adrenaline pumping and push further, run faster, go harder:
27. What did you want and get? Happiness. My own organic hair salon.
28. What did you want and not get? Long hair.
29. What was your favorite film of this year? Breaking Dawn: Part 2.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 33, and I think I was working?
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? If my husband had been as happy with his job as I am with mine. That is, hopefully, on the agenda for next year.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012? Casual, often going for leggings or skinny jeans, boots and a simple top. I love everything that sparkles and shines.
33. What kept you sane? I’m not sure I am, hahaha!
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Jillian Michaels.
35. What political issue stirred you the most? Learning more about the reality of war fugitives and unaccompanied minors seeking permission to stay in Sweden.
36. Who did you miss? Did I miss anyone?
37. Who was the best new person you met? I met lots of new customers at the salon, lots of amazing people. I met Nicki’s father, who was a lot of fun, had so many stories to share and made a huge impression on Alexander.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012. Happiness really is a choice. There is joy to be found everywhere.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Forever, ’till the end of time
From now on, only you and I
We’re going u-u-u-u-u-u-up
An everlasting piece of art
A beating love within my heart
We’re going u-u-u-u-u-u-up