Employment Services

Do you like our content? We are supported by community readers like you. For just €2 a month, you can have unlimited access to all the articles, the discussion and classified ad functions; and you can help us to keep the web server up and running and produce new contents.

Job seekers in Italy should register at the nearest employment office (ufficio di collocamento) of the government employment service (Sezione Circoscrizionate per l'Impiego). You can register without being a resident (and should be given the same help as Italian nationals and residents), but require a permit to stay (see page 79) and a workers' registration card (libretto di lavoro). Employment offices provide information about registration, unemployment cards, agricultural jobs, residency, apprenticeships, public bodies, and benefit applications and payments. They organise seminars about job hunting and have trained counsellors to help you find an appropriate job. Some centres have Internet access.

Regional employment agencies are operated by the Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare (Ministero del Lavoro e della Previdenza Sociale) and there are also local employment centres (centri di iniziativa locale per l'occupazione/CILO) in cities and large towns, which provide help and advice about work-related problems and self-employment. There are also information centres for the unemployed (centro infomazione disoccupati) in major cities run by the larger trade unions. Here you can obtain information about job vacancies, finding work and employment regulations; some offices also offer advice on job interviews, writing application letters, setting up a business, self-employment, income tax and social security.

Young people can obtain information about jobs and training at local information centres (informagiovani), found in most towns and cities. These centres have situations vacant boards for temporary (lavoro interinale) and part-time (lavoro a tempo parziale or lavoro part-time) jobs such as baby-sitting, teaching children, gardening and domestic work. They maintain job listings (you can also place a 'work wanted' ad.) and distribute leaflets, flyers and booklets about finding work in Italy. They provide help and advice on finding temporary work, information about courses and training, evening classes, scholarships, enrolment at university, cultural events and hobbies. You can lodge your curriculum vitae (CV) on their website (www.informagiovani.it ), check job offers, contact agencies offering part-time work and apply directly to companies offering employment. There's also a section listing employment laws, working conditions and employment contracts.

There's also a European Employment Service (EURES) network, members of which include all EU countries plus Norway and Iceland. Member states exchange information regularly on job vacancies, and local EURES offices have access to information on how to apply for a job and living and working conditions in each country. The international department of your home country's employment service can put you in touch with a 'Euroadviser' who can provide advice on finding work in Italy. Euroadvisers have permanent links with EURES services in other member states and also have permanent access to two databases. One database contains details of job offers in all member states and the other provides information on living and working conditions, and a profile of the trends for regional labour markets.

Euroadvisers can also arrange to have your personal details forwarded to the Italian Job Centre (Sezione Circoscrizionale per l'Impiego Collocamento in Agricola/SCICA) in Italy. However, given the high level of unemployment in Italy, this is rarely the fastest or the most efficient method for finding a job there, particularly from abroad. As would be expected, national employment services give priority to their own nationals and jobs aren't generally referred to EURES or other national agencies until after prospective local candidates have been considered. The Citizens First website (http://citizens.eu.int ) contains information about EURES and EURES-related agencies in many European countries and you can also consult http://europa.eu.int/eures/index.jsp .

For further information contact the Ministero del Lavoro e della Previdenza Sociale, Via Flavia, 6, 00187 Rome (( 06-4788 7174, www.minlavoro.it ).

This excerpt has been republished with permission from Survival Books. Some of the information may apply to EU citizens only. If you would like to get the inside track on moving to Italy, pick up your copy of this great book by clicking here.


Home page

Web design ©2015 Lincoln Han.
Powered by TimeEdge® EnInvia contact and content delivery system.