Extended Stay Visa

Do you like our content? We are supported by community readers like you. For just €2 a month, you can have unlimited access to all the articles, the discussion and classified ad functions; and you can help us to keep the web server up and running and produce new contents.

From the Italian Embassy

This type of visa allows entry in Italy for an open-term long visit to aliens who intend to take up residence in our country and who are able to do so, and to support themselves autonomously, without having to rely on employment in Italy, whether it is as a dependent employee or as a self-employed worker.

All applications for this type of visa require the following documents (1 original plus 1 copy):

  • Passport or official travel document valid for at least 3 months beyond the validity date of the visa requested. The passport must have a blank page available for the visa to be affixed;
  • Visa application form to be signed by applicant in the presence of a Consular Officer;
  • One recent passport photograph (2x2 inches in size, full face, front view, color);
  • Proof of permanent residence in the U.S., in the form of a green card or valid U.S. long-term visa. B1/ B2 visas are not accepted;
  • Proof of support: original financial statements from banks, investment/brokerage firms, Social Security, etc., indicating current balances. Please note that said balances cannot be derived from current employment or other work activities; i.e., you cannot finance your residence in Italy through work. In addition, please note that said account balances must be more than substantial and must provide for continuous growth;
  • Proof of housing availability: rental agreements, proof of ownership (title deed) of adequate housing;
  • Certificate of good conduct (Police record) issued by the local Police authority or by the FBI field office.

A fee of 116 euros must be paid (Exchange rate will be adjusted every three months)

Please be advised that the Consular Office may request any additional documents at its discretion.

Within eight days from your arrival in Italy you have to appear before the local police authority in order to receive the "Residency Permit" (Permesso di Soggiorno), which is the only legal document which legitimizes your stay in the country. You will also need to show proof of health insurance covering you for accidents, illness and maternity.

You may not work with this type of visa!

Below are links to the Extended Stay Visa pages on each Italian Consulate websites (in the US):


Home page

Web design ©2015 Lincoln Han.
Powered by TimeEdge® EnInvia contact and content delivery system.